Wednesday, November 18, 2009

pumpkin crumble


Sometimes I get this determined look on my face. Like I'm gonna tackle my husband and his many, many dislikes in the world of food. He better watch out.

I've gained a fondness for pumpkin pie over the past couple years and really wanted to make something he would like too that we could have for our first Thanksgiving together when we're actually doing the cooking. So excited, by the way.

I came across this recipe for Pumpkin Crumble, which the author said she loves even though she's not a fan of pumpkin pie, so I thought I had a chance with the hubby and went to battle.

I followed the instructions exactly for this one and it was very simple to put together.

I had high hopes.

I liked it. It would be a great dessert for your upcoming Thanksgiving dinner if you want something a little different than the traditional pumpkin pie, but still desire those classic flavors.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my husband. He didn't even take a bite when I served it. I basically had to force him to try it, just one bite, after our company had left for the evening. I felt like I was in negotiations with my toddler. All I got was an "Eh, it's alright...I guess."

So I admit defeat in this battle. My guy might never like pumpkin anything. I figure we're going to have to start having more people at our holidays so if he doesn't like something I want to make, it isn't such a big deal.

I've also decided it might be a good idea to include the recipes in my posts as well as linking to them, so I'm going to give this a try for now. We'll see if the kiddos give me enough time for this extra step.

Pumpkin Crumble
recipe from Our Best Bites

1 box of yellow or white cake mix - pick whatever brand you like
1-2 sticks butter
1 16 oz can pumpkin - or make your own puree
2 eggs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t ginger
1/8 t cloves
1/8 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 t additional cinnamon for topping

Preheat oven to 350.

Place 2 cups of the cake mix in a bowl. Cut in 3 tablespoons chilled butter. Use your fingers to crumble the butter until it's in small crumbly pieces. Place mixture in a 9x13 baking dish and press it flat using your fingers.

Mix pumpkin, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and spices until smooth. Pour on top of the cake mixture in the pan.

Measure the rest of the dry cake mix (they're all a little different.) Mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and the rest of the dry cake mix together. Sprinkle it all over the top of the pumpkin mixture.

Next sprinkle on the chopped pecans.

For every 1 cup of cake mix you sprinkled on top, you'll need 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Drizzle it right on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. The topping should be golden brown when done.

I served it with homemade sweetened whipped cream. Who doesn't like pumpkin with whipped cream on top? Well, except the guy I married.

So what's the one dish you're looking forward to gobbling up on Thanksgiving? (If you can pick just one.)

No comments: