Monday, September 28, 2009

an easy salmon recipe

On a date night this summer, my hubby and I went to a seafood restaurant on the lake and I ordered the special. Salmon with spinach, bacon, mushrooms and feta cheese all wrapped up in phyllo dough and baked to perfection. Yummy! And the best part, the salmon didn't taste like fish at all. Just the way I like it.

This weekend we tried a recipe from the newest Food Network star, Melissa d'Arabian. Her Kid-Friendly Salmon was a cinch to make. I threw the marinade together in the morning, let the salmon go for a swim in it all afternoon and put it under the broiler for a few minutes right before dinner. The marinade gave a nice flavor to the salmon, but it was still a little fishy for me. The dipping sauce (reduced marinade) was so pungent that it only took a little to take away any remaining fishy flavor.

I served the salmon over rice and thought I'd include the recipe for it since my husband said it was rice-tastic. (I think we've been watching a few too many episodes of Bathtastic on DIY network lately.) The recipe is adapted from one in the most recent edition of Southern Living magazine.

Citrus Rice-tastic
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice

Stir the chicken broth, butter and orange juice together in a medium saucepan over high heat. Let it come to a boil and then stir in the rice. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.

The marinade did give the salmon a good flavor, although I'm not sure I'd have called it "kid-friendly." My daughter really likes fish and she only ate took a couple bites before proclaiming, "No like this." I am still on the hunt for a repeatable salmon recipe...maybe one with bacon and feta and...

No comments: