Saturday, September 12, 2009

go ahead, make your own sauce


With only chicken in the fridge and no inspiration for dinner, I turned on Food Network during my favorite time slot to find Giada to the rescue. She just happened to be making grilled chicken, with a homemade Balsamic BBQ Sauce that looked yummy so we gave it a go for dinner last night.

The bbq sauce was very easy to put together. I only had 1/2 cup of ketchup, but I still decided to keep all the other measurements as called for in the recipe and taste and adjust as it cooked. I was feeling lazy so I used garlic powder instead of mincing the garlic. After the sauce simmered a few minutes, it wasn't quite sweet enough so I added another 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. We probably should have reduced it down a little more, but we were having a late dinner anyways and wanted to get to the football game so we didn't take as much time reducing the sauce as we probably should have, but with that said, the flavor combinations seemed to work.

My husband grilled the chicken and basted it as the recipe recommends and we served the remaining sauce on the side along with corn on the cob. My daughter usually doesn't eat a lot of meat, but she liked this so much she kept asking for more chicken to dip in her sauce. My husband's only complaint was that he would have preferred a thicker sauce and that easily could have been remedied with a little more planning. All in all, not a bad meal for something thrown together at the last minute.

No comments: