Monday, September 21, 2009

tips on making an easy trifle


"It was better than I thought it was going to be," says my husband when I asked him what he thought of our dessert from dinner last night. "I liked it."

Knowing he's not a fan of whipped cream, I didn't think he would swoon over my first ever trifle, so I was pleasantly surprised that his comments were positive. He liked the flavor of the whipped cream (I added almond extract to it, around a teaspoon.) Other changes to the recipe: I didn't have the amaretto cookies and demerara sugar for garnish, so I used raspberries instead. I made an angel food cake and tore that up instead of using pound cake and I bought light whipped cream instead of whipping my own to save me a bowl to clean :-) I guess you could say I was more inspired by Giada's Strawberry Trifle than I actually followed it.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of flavor from the strawberries. I thought marinating them in the balsamic vinegar would add a nice kick to the dish, but none of us could taste the vinegar. I drained them before adding to the trifle, and maybe that's where I went wrong. The recipe doesn't specify, but I think I'd recommend adding some of the juices from the marinade into the trifle.

My daughter sure enjoyed it (I think she got a bite from everyone at the table), and she didn't even ask for ketchup for this one.

Now that I have a trifle bowl, does anyone have any good recipes I can try with it?

No comments: