Sunday, September 13, 2009

orange and nut squares


We had dinner with another family tonight and I was in charge of bringing dessert. Guess who decided to try out a new recipe to take? I don't know why I always try new things when other people other than the 3 of us are involved, but it's one of my bad habits. I'd seen Giada make Orange and Nut Squares on one of her shows a few weeks back and have been wanting to give them a try.

Concerning the recipe, I only cooked the sugar cookie dough for 15 minutes because my first attempt left the cookie too crisp when kept in the oven for the full length of time. Fifteen minutes was still a little much, but better than 25. I chose macadamia nuts because, well, I LOVE them and thought they'd be a good touch with the sugar cookie. Everything else was by the book.

My husband and I were not crazy about the bars. I think my main complaint was the orange and chocolate flavor combination. It didn't leave me wanting more, but if that is a taste you enjoy, these might be worth trying. They are simple to make and have a gourmet look. The kids all enjoyed them, so that was a plus. Maybe someday I'll learn to try things out first when other families are involved...

No comments: